Sometimes being gluten free isn't easy. We all have questions. This is a place to ask and answer and help each other through this gluten free battle.

Friday, February 4, 2011

A gluten free snow storm

Champaign was just hit with the "storm of the decade!" Sounds scary right... it wasn't. The weather men talked this up WAY more than necessary. Yes, we have a 3 ft drift outside our front door. Yes, there is quite a bit of snow on the ground. And yes, yesterday I drove with a friend to Decatur to pick up a rug. I think the storm of the decade got lazy after Chicago and didn't want to continue on down to the C-U. Fine by me. I hate the stuff. If I moved somewhere that it never snowed I'm not too sure I'd miss it all that much.

Anyways, on to the purpose for this post. As I was preparing for the storm of the decade, I was hit with a conundrum. People who can eat gluten go to the store and get bread and crackers and cookies and cereal and beefaroni. I can't do that business. So what do I get. I should add that we are on a major budget so I don't often buy GF bread, crackers, cookies etc. Too expensive and really not that good for me either. So how do I prepare for something that may or may not happen. Here are the items in food emergency kit:
Rice cakes (love 'em! So inexpensive and versatile.)
Peanut Butter and Jelly (for the rice cakes of course!)
Canned fruit (peaches are my fave, but also pears and pineapple and, of course, applesauce)
Cans of Bush's Original Bakes Beans (I can eat these suckers cold)
Canned Veggies (Anyone else have an insane love of green beans?)
Diet Coke and Captain Morgan's (If the power goes out and it gets too cold we need a way to stay warm right?!)

As it turned out, the power stayed on and we didn't have to worry about any of this. So instead we ate some delicious creations of mine. I'm not a recipe followerer unless I'm baking... and even then I hate measuring. So, it's a loose kind of follow. So when I put recipes up here, take all measurements loosely. I'll post those recipes later today. Here are some pictures to get you interested! :)


1 comment: