Sometimes being gluten free isn't easy. We all have questions. This is a place to ask and answer and help each other through this gluten free battle.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

New Beginnings...

Well, a lot has happened since my last post. So, I eliminated all grains for 2 and a half or 3 weeks... I kinda forget which. :) I was still not feeling great but I was feeling better. I went to the GI. He was great. Really helpful. He answered all my questions (oh yeah, there were a lot of them!) and he recommended me to a dietitian. I'm pretty excited to go see the dietitian. I'm hoping for some new good ideas and some professional help with this gluten free thing. This past week I began reintroducing my most common grains. Quinoa first, then rice, last corn. All fine... but I was still getting sick. Then it dawned on me. I referred to my handy dandy food journal to confirm the culprit. Lactose. I've been lactose sensitive for a long time; drinking only lactose free milk but still eating cheese, ice cream, etc.. No longer. I am full blown lactose intolerant. It's no fun but it is what it is. So, this too I will embrace in order to make myself a healthier person. My body continues to heal... hopefully... and I continue to strive to be 100% gluten free. The doc did a Celiac blood panel so I'll see how I'm doing with that any day now when I get the results. Hopefully I'm not failing... Gluten is sneaky. It sticks to manufacturing equipment and gets in my otherwise GF foods. Flour can travel through the stinking air!! This is rough. It takes a whole lot of trusting that companies are following safe manufacturing techniques and labeling the products correctly. We shouldn't have to take leaps of faith like that when it comes to things that could totally destroy our bodies. It is time for the FDA to set strict regulations and to make sure that companies are following them. The health of thousands and thousands of people with food allergies and intolerances are on the line. -- End rant. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment